The Angel Investor Tax Credit program is offered to investors interested in funding early-stage companies engaged in life sciences research and development, commercialization and manufacturing in Massachusetts. The program provides a taxpayer investor a credit of 20% of the qualifying investment, or 30% if the business is located in a gateway municipality, in a business that has no more than $500,000 in gross revenues in the year prior to eligibility.
Credits are available up to $50,000 in any one taxable year for qualifying investments of up to $125,000 per qualifying business per year and up to $250,000 in cumulative qualifying investments for each qualifying business.
Eligibility & Evaluation
- Taxpayer Investors must be “accredited” as defined by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and may not be a principal owner of the business or involved in a full-time professional capacity.
- Qualifying business must be registered to do business in Massachusetts, have 20 or fewer full-time employees at the time of the investment, and have $500,000 or less in gross revenues in the year prior to eligibility.
- A qualifying investment is a monetary investment that is at risk and is not secured or guaranteed.
Interested applicants will be required to submit an online application. This is a two-step application process that includes information from the taxpayer investor and the qualifying business to meet the requirements for the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center to make an award. Please see sections 4-6 of the solicitation for more information regarding the application process and further details on the eligibility requirements.
Taxpayer investors that receive a tax credit award and the qualifying business in which they have invested are required to provide Annual Reports to monitor compliance.
- Deadline of October 29, 2021 at noon EST for submission of applications for qualifying investments made during the period January 1, 2021 to September 30, 2021.
- Deadline of January 14, 2022 at noon EST for submission of applications for qualifying investments made during the period October 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
Please note that while there are two deadlines, the program will remain open for the second deadline only if the funding cap has not been reached. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and would be considered complete once both the investor and the company has each completed their portion of the application. If there are multiple investors in the same company, the company only has to submit one application for the current round of the program.
Status Update: The MLSC is no longer accepting applications for investments made during 2021. Investors will be notified of the status of their applications by February 17, 2022.
View the regulations for the 830 CMR 62.6.5: Angel Investor Tax Credit
Impact on the Ecosystem
To ensure the Massachusetts’ ecosystem remains favorable for investors, we are proud to offer this new Angel Investor Tax Credit to encourage investment throughout the Commonwealth and in our gateway municipalities. We are confident that such investments will create jobs, build a robust workforce, support women and minority-led companies, and propel the development of new therapies, devices, and scientific advancements that are improving patient health and well-being.
Connect with us to Learn More
If you have any questions regarding the application process, e-mail: AngelTax@masslifesciences.com.